Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Things I've Learnt In 2010

Hey,

For the last four years or more, I've written a summary of my year in the form of a list of things I've learnt that year.
This year is no different.
It's weird because as I look back on other years where I've summed up the things I've learnt, I'm realising that some years I learn the same things over and over again. Sometimes you think you've learnt a lesson in a year but haven't at all, if you keep making the same mistake, you have NOT learnt your lesson.

So, I'll begin by acknowledging a lesson I learnt this year that I thought I'd learnt way back in 2008.
>>> Try everything, you'll regret the things you DON'T do more than the things you WILL do. If I had REALLY learnt this lesson back in 2008, believe it or not, I would have a lot less regrets than I currently do, so here's hoping in 2011, I do EVERYTHING and regret NOTHING.
>>> I do not need to put up with people who use me, they can be easily cut away from my life like fat off a piece of steak.
>>> Flatmates can teach you a lot about life, sometimes living with a complete stranger can be the best thing you've ever done.
>>> Two people who are complete opposites can still be friends, they can even live together if they are tollerant of each other.
>>> Leaving home for the first time is scary, especially if you're moving a long distance away.
>>> Sometimes keeping in contact with your family just makes you miss them more.
>>> Working in the real world is stressful and tiring and unless you love your job, some days will not feel like it's worth waking up.
>>> As a Journalist I've learnt one man's tragedy is another man's excitement.
>>> As a Journalist I've also learnt dealing with grieving people and intruding on their privacy is hard and some decisions a Journalist will make will haunt them.
>>> Gaining a diploma is more difficult than anyone could possibly imagine but it CAN be done and finishing such a long process IS the greatest accomplishment I've ever made.
>>> When something is hard, giving up should never be an option, no matter how hard that thing is. Things must be seen through to their completion.
>>> Death is never easy. Whether someone's been fighting an illness for a long time or a kitten suddenly gets hit by a car one night, death can leave a person shaken.
>>> You never know how you'll react to someone/something's death until it happens, sometimes, even if you didn't actually know someone, their death can hit you like a freight train.
>>> Change can happen. Don't Ask Don't Tell was repealed in America this month (see previous blog for more), this is a sign the world is changing and gay people in this world are finally gaining acceptance or at least a little more tollerance.
>>> Try not to judge a person by their family, just because you dislike my dad or my cousin's a slut or my aunty's a drunk doesn't mean I have ever done anything wrong or am anything like them.
>>> Just because someone wants to sleep with you, doesn't mean you have to sleep with them. It doesn't matter how desperate you are or how flattering their attempts are, if it's not right, it's not right.
>>> Just because someone you used to know adds you as a friend on Facebook, doesn't mean you have to accept them, even if they add you 10 times. If you no longer want them in your life, they don't have to be in your life.
>>> Solving your problems at work and making your job less stressful is as EASY as talking to your boss. You don't have to leave when the going gets tough, your boss will be able to sort something out so there's a way around the problem.
>>> Finding work is hard, sometimes, even after 5 months, you can't find a job. Don't give up your job if you already have one.
>>> Some events in your life will be utterly disasterous, every single part of the event will go wrong and it will leave you feeling like crying in a dark corner but don't let that stop you from trying again and continuing to take risks.

That's it, happy new year.

V.

1 comment:

  1. I'm running out of code namesJanuary 16, 2011 at 3:40 AM

    Finally, finally got to read your list! I just start catching up on the blogs I follow (as well as on my own blogs) and I thought I'd start all that catching up (speaking of which - my diary is still on April 2010 - I'm afraid I will never catch up with that!) with your blog first. The "As i journalist I've learnt one man's tragedy..."-bit cracked me up. IT's actually sad, but it's so true! You wouldn't believe how many times someone in my office says: "Can't someone famous die now, please?" Horrible, but you actually don't want someone to die, you just want the story of someone being dead. It's not about the person, it's about the story...

    All in all, it's a good list and I think you can take something from it into 2011. It'll be a good year, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete