Monday, February 8, 2010

On running over cats

I just saw someone I know is dead.
They were just scootering along Cuba St.
I guess when you think about someone or something a lot, your mind has some form of permission to play tricks on you.
I know it's not possible to have seen him but I feel like spending the rest of the day outside waiting for him to come back.
I guess it's kinda like now I have one tattoo (another to come soon), I constantly notice other people's tattoos.
Except obviously it's more serious seeing someone who is no longer alive than just observing body art.
Only difference was, this version of the person had facial hair, I guess that's what happens when you've been dead a while, you're not able to shave.

I don't understand how a person can run over an animal.
I've been driving for a while now and although many animals have run out in front of my car, since I've been paying attention, it's not hard not to hit them.
If I see an animal even CLOSE to the road, I slow down, no matter how many cars are behind me and I watch that animal to make sure I'm ready if they make a move.
The first time, it was hard.
I was deeply saddened the first time I almost hit a dog which ran out in front of me. Of course, I was paying attention to the road so I didn't hit it but I had to slam on my brakes.
Cats, it appears, are the worst. Cats tend to always be close to the road and they tend to either wander slowly across the road like they own it or they run across too fast for any driver to think twice.
But if you are always watching what you're doing while driving, you will NEVER hit a cat.
On my way home I saw a duck on the road also, very slow moving but easy not to hit.

Varelai

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it is impossible to see someone from who you know for sure he's dead.
    But maybe not.
    I believe the dead are around us and watch us. To me, they are not just somewhere in heaven (or hell) looking down on us. They are with us, surround as, watch us, look down on us.
    To me, they are based in heaven, somewhere on top of the clouds where the sun always shines. But sometimes, when they feel like they needed to look out for us, they come down, surround us and are with us. Sometimes, we can feel them. All of a sudden we think of them, remember the good times we used to have together. Sometimes, we wished they were here. Sonetimes, we can see them. And sometimes... we don't even notice when they are around.
    That is what I believe and I really believe in it, even though usually I'm quite a rationally thinking person and not very spiritual at all.

    And what I have to say about running over cats: well, I even hit the brakes for a mouse. :)

    ReplyDelete