Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Day in the Life of Me

It’s funny how humans are creatures of habit. Every day I do the exact same thing.
I know I’ve written a similar blog about this kind of thing before but I guess this one is also kind of “A Day in the Life of Me”.

So, every morning I wake up at what my alarm says is 6:30am but is actually more like 6:20am or slightly earlier because I keep my alarm clock running 10 minutes fast.

I roll around for a while and say “nughghgh, it can’t be time to wake up already” then I stay in bed till it’s about 6:40am just listening to ZM’s Morning Crew for a few minutes before going to have a shower.

I pee then have my shower (also a routine, eg: I wash my body in the same order every day with the same body wash) for 10 minutes then I get out, dry myself, walk back to my room and slip back into bed so I don’t get cold.

I continue to listen to The Crew while I’m getting dressed into my work clothes. When I’m dressed, I go out into the lounge and turn on the computer, it is now 6:57am in real time.

I check Hotmail first to see if anyone cares enough to email me, then I check Facebook and sometimes Twitter if I get time.

By this time, it’s usually about 7:20 so I brush my teeth, make sure my bag is packed with some healthy snacks and a good book then I get in my car, listening to the same CD most days (or my Ipod before it broke) and drive to the Trentham railway station.

I park in the same place at the railway station as I do every day and sit at the there for a few minutes listening to music until 7:37am and then I take out my car stereo and put it in my bag, then grab my bags and go to the platform.

At 7:44am, the train comes (sometimes it’s a little bit later but never earlier) and I get on and read my book till we get to Wellington.
At Wellington I put my book in my bag and get off the train. I sometimes walk to New World and buy a danish if I’m hungry, otherwise I walk out of the station and up the hill to work.

When I get to work, I go up to the 3rd floor in the lift and walk to my desk, turn on the computer and read the Dominion Post for about an hour.

It’s now about 9:30/10am and I check my emails and respond to anything that needs responding to. I then make coffee or have a glass of cold water and a No-Doz caffeine pill so I’m awake for the day.

I then have a briefing with my boss who tells me what to do for the day and I do it, only stopping to check Hotmail, Facebook and Stuff a few times during the day.

At 12pm I have lunch, which is usually a sandwich from New World’s deli, which they allow you to choose 4 salad ingredients and one spread. Usually, being a creature of habit, I have cheese, lettuce, tomato and sprouts with honey mustard sauce on multi-grain bread.
Sometimes I’ll also have a raspberry cream bun as well, if I’m feeling like something sweet.
I eat in the little memorial garden beside work, it’s very pretty and is great for sitting in to get out of the office for a while.

I do more work in the afternoon, at some point going to the bathroom because I drink too many glasses of water during the day (using the same toilet every time of course) until 4:55 when I turn off my computer, go down the lift and walk down the hill to the railway station to catch the 5:12pm train.

The train gets back to Trentham at about 5:45-5:55ish and I drive my car home from the station.

At home, I say hi to mum, cuddle each of my cats and turn on the computer.
I check Hotmail, then Facebook then watch a little TV or make dinner.

After dinner, I stay on the computer, watch some TV and upload my photo of the day, which I took at some point during the day.

I go to bed at 9:30-10pm after putting on my pajamas and brushing my teeth.

Are you a creature of habit or do you like to change things up a bit?

V.

1 comment:

  1. Special Agent Ever ChangingFebruary 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

    Having habits is a good thing, though, it gives you a sense of security. Ironically I'm just listening to a song by Cinderella (I have Glam Metal-week this week, I'm crazy about them these days!) called "The more things change". It comes from the saying "the more things change the more they stay the same". Bon Jovi (yeah, you know me: I always manage to squeeze Bon Jovi into a conversation) just recently also released a song with the same title. They sing, for example: "instead of records now it's MP3s" and they're trying to say that even though everything is developing and things are changing, there's actually not the much of a difference: it's still music that is supposed to make people happy. That's what musicians make music for and even though there may not be as many records any more, the music is still here...
    Think about it: Do you need change? I'm not sure... I think, sometimes, change can be a good thing, but I also think that certain situations require you to settle for something and be okay with it.

    P.S.: Didn't comment on your last post yet, but I sure will - have been thinking about it all the time, but I haven't quite come to a conclusion yet. Such a difficult topic, as I had so many people crossing my path in my life that I find it very hard to pick only one who was the most inspirational...

    ReplyDelete