Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Some things that annoy me

My mum will be so disappointed, TV3 political editor Duncan Garner is getting married.
At my Journalism graduation dinner (at which Duncan spoke), mum flirted with Duncan and every time she sees him on TV she gets very excited and says “Hi Duncan!” but now he is engaged.
I guess I was surprised that he wasn’t married but now I know, it’s not much of a surprise. A disappointment I guess but not a surprise, he’s good looking, talented and very very funny, even when talking about politics.
I also found out, in the same story, he has two daughters to another TV 3 reporter, who’s name I can’t spell and has another son with his fiancĂ©.
I wish Duncan all the best, he deserves happiness.

Speaking of names I can’t spell, (checks Google for correct spelling) Wellington entrepreneur (is that what he is?) Terry Serepisos is a sleazebag.
I have always held this opinion but today it was clearer than ever when his sleazy smile graced the back page of the Dominion Post. And why shouldn’t he be smiling really? With his arms full with not just one but THREE, say it again Sam, THREE beautiful ladies.
Sleazebag alert.
This, of course, is not the only example of him being a sleaze but it’s certainly one example. I don’t trust him as far as I could throw him.

Next on the list of things/people that annoy me, I was walking up the hill to work this morning and a lady walking in front of me was smoking.
I can’t say I’ve never smoked a cigarette and I don’t deny I crave the feeling of smoke in my lungs fairly often but being behind this woman, being smoked out by her cigarette was disgusting.
I often find it hard enough to walk up that hill, fuck knows I am just not fit enough but having to be down wind of a smoker, having to inhale her disgusting second hand smoke, made me feel like I couldn’t breathe.
Even an hour later, I’m still just getting my breath back.
So, I think smoking in public should not be allowed. It’s okay if you’re out in the open air with no one else around but in a crowded street, that’s just WRONG.
What choice did I have in the matter?
If I want to kill myself with cigarette smoke, over consumption of sugar (now a thing of the past because of a diet), caffeine or alcohol, that, my friends, is my choice, I don’t appreciate having the choice forced upon me when maybe, I don’t feel like dying today.

And last but not least, another thing that annoys me is ads that have no purpose. Today, in the Herald newspaper (I have to read the Dom and the Herald every morning for work but I still enjoy them), there was a full page ad that was a picture of a house and just said something about broadband. It didn’t say which company could give me better, faster, cheaper broadband, it didn’t say jack shit actually, it was just a waste of a whole page in the paper, which could have had something beneficial to my life on it but no.
I mean, what if there’s some sort of allergen in the tomato I eat for lunch and now I don’t know because the newspaper didn’t have enough space to tell me.

Another one of these ads was on a bus stop a few days ago, they took it down sometime between 8am and 5pm yesterday but till then, it was there.
It was a blank, white page with a huge red button in the middle that said “PUSH”, so I walked past it the first time and thought “that’s odd” and then the next day, I walked past and decided to push it.
When I did, a little tune came out for 5 seconds or so and that was it.
What in the WORLD was the purpose of that?

I pushed it again and the same thing happened, I think I just pushed it again because I was so disbelieving that there was a button, ON A BUS STOP, that you could push and it would play a little tune.
But that didn’t help me to understand the point either.
So, I’m still wondering what it was all about.

There are also TV ads where you sit through, what seems like 10 minutes (and is actually closer to 30 seconds/ one minute), of weird weird, cryptic jibber jabber before they finally tell you what company the ad is for or what they’re aiming at by telling you all this crap.

That’s all.

By the way, my horoscopes have still been correct a lot lately.


V.

3 comments:

  1. he was only pictured with one woman and that was a coworker

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were three. The other women were very close to him, if they weren't connected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Special Agent Super MemoryFebruary 5, 2011 at 12:59 PM

    Duncan! So funny, I was just thinking about him the other day. Because you know how your brain can only remember a certain number of names and people and social contacts... well, obviously, I kind of had forgotten who Duncan was because yesterday, when I did a story on Duncan Jones (David Bowie's son), me and my colleague were talking about the other Duncans in Showbiy and we came up with Duncan James and Duncan Bannatyne and I yelled out: "And Duncan Garner" and everyone was like: "Who the **** is Duncan Garner, don't know him, is he famous?" - And (embarrassingly enough) I was like: "Can't quite remember, who the heck is that!" - And all of a sudden I remembered and... yeah, anyway that was my very pointless Duncan-story.

    ReplyDelete