Thursday, June 3, 2010

Death and confusion

Death always confuses me.
One of the guys at a place I worked for for a few weeks recently lost his daughter. She had some sort of condition and died in her sleep.
Today I found out a girl I used to speak to, lost what I'm pretty sure was her best friend.
On Monday and Tuesday he posted status updates to his Facebook page and on Wednesday he dies.
I'm not yet sure how this boy died but he must have been my age so it's a weird death.
Maybe it was suicide? I'm not sure but it confuses me how someone can be alive one day and dead the next.
A son, a friend, a daughter, a brother, a sister, a cousin, dead.
It makes my stomach feel funny. This guy, he was someone this girl talked about ALL the time. I'm not sure if they ever dated, I don't remember, they may have but his name always came up.
And now his Facebook page is filled with RIP's.
It's hard for my brain to process.
It could be me, it could be my friends. It could happen to anyone at any time and it doesn't have to be cancer where you expect a person to die sooner than anyone else (see my first few blogs about my experience with cancer and dying), it's like just waking up dead.
It's scary that you could be walking down the street and drop dead at any moment or you could be sleeping and pass away.
Is there method to the madness? Is there a list that people are on and when their time is up, that's it?
Who decides who lives and who dies?
Is it random?
You can spend your whole life worrying about your health, exercising, eating healthy, not drinking or smoking, being vegetarian, whatever and you may still just die, through no fault of anyone.
No one hit you with their car, you didn't have a heart attack, you didn't die of cancer, you didn't die of old age, you didn't die of any form of overdose, you just DIED.
Even when a celebrity dies, like Brittany Murphy, particularly if like Brittany they die much before their time, my heart stops for a second, my stomach clenches, my breath hitches. I don't know what to do or say because what can you do or say?
They're gone. But WHY?!
It's the confusion that gets me.
Like Heath Ledger, he was at the height of his career, why, when he overdosed, couldn't they revive him?
Some people get second chances, they get revived.
Ozzy Osbourne died twice when his motorbike fell on top of him and they brought him back to life.
Why didn't Heath get that chance, or Brittany?
What's even more shocking is Brittany's husband dying not even a year later. Of what? A broken heart. Not even any proper cause, just that he LITERALLY could not live without her.
Then there's the afterlife but that's another day. Today is just about confusion. I don't know why young people die, it's unfathomable to me.

And the worst thing is, no one who reads this can help me, no one will ever be able to answer my question and people will keep dying.
As I get older it'll happen even more and to people I know rather than people I only know of.
In the movie Big Fish, a man lives for a very long time. He's not immortal, I don't think but he just has long life.
The question he faces is, is it a gift or is it a curse? He gets to see things happen, but the curse is that before he dies, he must watch every single person he loves die before him.
The dead are lucky, they are at peace, there is no death where they are, they never have to experience another lost loved one but we, we suffer for them, the living are the cursed.

Think about it and if you have any ideas or want to share your thoughts, please do.

Varelai.

No comments:

Post a Comment