Monday, June 21, 2010

You know what they do to guys like us in prison

I went to school with two girls who were murdered by their stepdad in Masterton in 2001.
Every day I thank God that Bruce Howse is rotting in jail where he belongs.
Olympia Jetson and Saliel Aplin were only 11 and 12 when Howse felt the need to end their lives in the family sleepout, one warm December night.
Last night I was looking at a Facebook page for my old school and there was a picture of Olympia singing in the choir.
It broke my heart because on the Facebook page, there are many other people from the school who have joined and they're all grown up.
It's amazing to see these kids I knew when we were 10-11 are DOING something with their lives now.
Not Olympia, she never had a chance.
She's not going to university or working at the local paper or doing a course or having children, she will never do these things.
The strangest thing was, we all heard when she died that she had written "my dad is going to kill me" in the back of one of her notebooks before it happened.
I feel so sad for her. Someone commented on the photo "is that Olympia?" and someone else replied "yea, it is..."
Everyone in Masterton knows what happened, particularly if they went to that school, we had a memorial service for her.
The ... after that comment says enough. They didn't have to discuss her death, they just knew.
When I saw the picture, I didn't have to read the comments to know it was her. I saw her face and my heart sank.
She doesn't have a future.
Howse will be in eligible for parole in 2026, I hope he dies in prison, but I know, even if he does, that's not going to bring back the girls. Howse rotting in prison, doesn't change the fact the girls, who would now be 19 and 20 are not here.
It's barely enough punishment but in fact, the Judge was quite proud just how much time he got.
I hope they do nasty things to him in prison, he doesn't deserve more than that.

Varelai.

1 comment: