Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Taking Back My Power

Grinding into me, grabbing my hips,
Your touch makes me shiver.

You make me sick to my stomach,
Did I ask you to do this to me?

“NO! STOP!” I scream,
A look of realisation dawns on your face.

People start to stare,
Guilt creeps into your eyes.

You walk away.

But then you’re back,
Was I not clear enough?

You’re close enough now that I can smell your breath: stale beer and cigarettes,
Is that why you don’t understand the meaning of no?

I punch you in the nose and shove you away,
“GO AWAY!” I scream

Even over the live band, people hear my cries for help,
A look of horror appears on your face, now you understand.

Three men approach you but you’ve already started to stalk away,
They grab you and drag you out into the night.

I’ve taken my power back,
You didn’t win; I will never let you win.

Creeps like you don’t scare me,
I did nothing wrong.

My world changes and my trust for men returns,
Caution remains but now I know how to fight back.




Authors note: Back in September I had a bad experience at a bar and a few nights ago I was talking to someone about it and they said when they had a bad experience similar to this, they did a painting but then in order to take their power back, that was taken away from them at this experience, they did another painting that was the opposite to the first.
It's a way to make yourself feel better because although I can't change what happened that night in reality, in fiction I can so this is the poem that changes what happened. This is what should have happened that night and what will happen if anything like this ever happens again.
He scared me, he changed the way I act, for the last three months instead of dancing, I've just stood against the wall but now I realise, fuck it, why let that creep win? He probably doesn't even remember what happened anymore so why should I still let that experience affect me?
Well no more, this, in my mind is what happened that night, I'm taking back my power.

Varelai.

1 comment:

  1. Special Agent WorrierDecember 4, 2010 at 9:15 AM

    Finally found time to catch up on your blog again.
    I'm so proud of you and glad you posted this. It shows me that I don't have to worry that much about you anymore (although I still do to some extent...) :D Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete