Sunday, December 5, 2010

Music snobs

My Chemical Romance's new album came out a few weeks ago and I have to admit it is an unusual piece of work.
Fans seem to love or hate it. I happen to love it. Even the two songs I disliked at first are growing on me. I've listened to it many times now, more than I can count.
Some of my friends and MCR "fans", are really disappointed by the album, so much so, they wish they could get their money back.
I have to say that, for me their disappointment really hurt. I love the band and I really like the album and I've always defended the band and its actions so when they didn't like the album and said bad things about the band, I felt very defensive and angry at those friends.
I understood the friends who didn't like the album though, it's a different album, it's not like anything they've ever produced before. That, for some people is hard to comprehend.

The thing that gets to me is pretentious assholes. People who say the music is crap or parts of the music are crap.
What gives ANYONE the right to question a band who can sell millions of records or the producers of the albums that band brings out?
I don't care if you know a lot about music through education or through years of listening or even through playing music, if you're not a famous musician, who are you to question the decisions of a band musically?
You are no one. They are an internationally renouned band with albums and fans so clearly they know what they're doing.
Even if their direction seems strange or different, it is intentional and we have no right to judge that.

I hate music snobs who think their music taste is better than everyone elses. Sure, everyone in the universe thinks their music taste is better than everyone elses. Even I do but I'm open minded, willing to listen to anything to expand my musical knowledge because by being closed minded and saying "I will only listen to one genre", you often miss some of the most AMAZING music you will ever hear.
So when someone is pretentious and hates popular music or hates any music that's not classical music, that really fucks me off.
When someone criticises a band like MCR for a musical decision they've made but is too pretentious to properly listen to it because they have the attitude that"only classical artists make proper music" then they can fuck off. Perhaps they don't deserve the depth this new album brings. This album could save as many lives as any MCR album.

V.

No comments:

Post a Comment