Saturday, July 24, 2010

The missing

Good morning,
I feel like last night I got hit by a truck.
When you don't drink often, it can only take a few drinks to completely make you feel like absolute shit the next morning.
I had two cans of beer and about half of a pint and my head hurts and my muscles are aching.
I'll admit, I feel a little better now I've had a shower and a nice strong coffee but really I'm fucked for the rest of the day.
That'll teach me.
It was important to have a few drinks last night though, as my official farewell with my colleagues.
Goodbye was hard though, it was a hard thing to leave this place with such amazing colleagues.
It was nice to properly have a send off, it was exactly what I wanted, not too much fuss, just some beers and a card from my department.
I didn't want any fuss coz I only lasted three months but also because I don't feel like it's necessary to have a huge collection of money and be given a gift or get the goodbye card signed by EVERYONE in the building, even people I don't know the names of. It doesn't MEAN anything that way.
So it was good but working this morning is pretty shit, whether or not I'll be able to do my job effectively remains to be seen.
But I'm moving home tomorrow so I'm not too fussed about anything really. Better start packing when I get home tonight.

Anyway, main point today is that this article really kinda bothers me.
It's scary to know 75 people are missing in the South Island, Christchurch area and 8000 around New Zealand.
Are they dead? Did they kill themselves? Did someone kill them? Are they alive and on the run from someone or something? Have they changed their name and details and are living a brand new life?
I think the scariest thing about missing people is that there are no answers.
At least when someone is dead, a body can be found but with these missing people, it could mean murderers are going unfound, uncaught, it means families suffer sometimes up to years of grief not knowing what happened to their loved ones.
The thing is, people CANNOT just disappear. The story makes it sound like they've just plain vanished but people don't just vanish.
It's a scary thing because one day, it could be me, it could be someone I know then they might not ever find me.
Then there's the factor of drowning. If someone jumps into the sea and are never seen again but there is no body, how can anyone be sure they are dead?
What if they swum away to start a new life somewhere else?
I guess it's all scary because there's no evidence, it's an unknown thing, people assume you're "probably dead" but no one can be sure.
There are many places in the vast bush that covers New Zealand that no one has thought to search or that are too difficult for anyone to search that mean a person can never be found, even if they decided they wanted to kill themselves, there are places they can go where they will be left alone until one day someone in the future will find a skeleton or whatever.
As for murder, well, don't you think New Zealand is the perfect country for it because of the vast bush, you could bury someone in the bush or just throw their body down a cliff and no one would ever find them.
It's terrifying the possibilities of our little country. I guess though, in the desert in some other countries, you have the same issue, no one is going to search the desert for days and days and days looking for someone, it's far too expansive.
I guess we all just have to pray someone is watching over us and an unknown fate will not be ours.

Varelai.

1 comment:

  1. Special Agent WatermelonJuly 26, 2010 at 10:54 AM

    Oooh. That truly is scary. :[ You would think that on an island, people can't really go missing. I mean, you know, of course, they can get lost in the mountains or at sea, but not like... kidnapped and taken across the border. Because you would need a plane or a ship to get across the border.

    Anyway, about your headache: I bet you forgot the water? I'm an unpractised drinker (meaning I hardly ever drink anything), yet, I hardly ever get headaches from drinking - and that is because whenever I drink alcohol, I also drink at least the same amount in water. And that prevents you from getting headaches. :) Just a tip for the future.

    ReplyDelete