Monday, July 19, 2010

Murder

This morning I walked out to my car to go to work and found my flatmate's kitten dead beside the car.
She had obviously been hit by a car during the night that decided she was not important enough to stop.
I ran inside and yelled to my flatmate who was in the shower that her beloved kitten had been hit by a car.
She was kind of flippant about it and made a remark like "aww I'm sorry kitten, I shouldn't have told you to go play in traffic yesterday".
My flatmate was usually pretty annoyed by the kitten who meowed so loudly so often even when she didn't really want food.
It was pretty devastating for me to have to experience the cute little ball of fluff lying cold on the road.
If there were two cars coming in opposite directions on the road, one of them would have run her over again, she wasn't close to the footpath, she was more in the middle of the road.
I wasn't hugely attached to her but as my flatmate picked her up by the scruff of her neck and carried her into the house, I felt sick, shakey and sad.
I can't believe someone would have the nerve to kill an innocent kitten.
It makes me worry about my cat, who I love dearly, more than anything in this world, that one day some asshole is going to drive down my road and take her away from me.
It would break my heart.
Mum said I shouldn't worry coz my cat hates cars and runs away but sometimes she crosses the road and at night, maybe she wouldn't be able to be seen.
Going home tonight is going to feel kind of lonely without her meowing at me constantly and hanging around my legs until I almost kick her, by accident of course.
This is my first experience with the death of an animal in this way, sometimes we've taken them to the vet when they've gotten old and got them put down but I've never had to come out of the house to find my beloved animal lying on the side of the road.

RIP little cat. We had nice cuddles while my flatmate wasn't home and you always purred the loudest.

Varelai.

1 comment:

  1. Special Agent DoveJuly 20, 2010 at 1:19 AM

    Awww... I'm sure the little ball of fluff is in Cat Heaven, chasing mice and looking down on you.

    ReplyDelete